Tuesday 23 February 2021

Death Guard - New Year, New Army, Hobbypocalypse

Hello!

There's a few different hashtags going on here - this is my New Year, New Army, and joining in the fun with the DZTV Hobbypocalypse, which involved painting 250 points a month of a new force for 6 months along with their Four Horsemen of the Hobbypocalypse series. As part of another project I'm working on, I got a big load of chaos marines in a trade, which included approximately 2000 points of Death Guard from the Conquest series. So I thought I'd have a bit of fun and paint up some really rusty, dirty, 'dry' Death Guard using my new best hobby friend, the sponge!






So here is about 260 points of Plague Marines, two squads of 5 with assorted upgrades. I'm really happy with how they turned out, the dusty looking armour, heavily chipped with The Sponge, covered with rust weathering powder, then contrasted with the purple mutations. I wasn't sure about the bases initially, with plans for churned up mud, but the DZTV discord people suggested some pale sand and I think it works (there's also some dry yellow static grass hiding on there!)



Just for a bit of fun, here they are with a warm filter on, looking super grubby. Again, really pleased with this worn down, dry look rather than the usual green and puss. I'm not sure if I'll ever actually play with these guys, it might just be a painting project, they might end up getting sold, or they might be the start of a big mixed nurgle force? We'll see. They certainly were fun and fairly quick to paint though, so I'm looking forward to painting up more of them, and their characters, daemon engines etc.


As mentioned, this was also tied in with the DZTV Hobbypocalypse, so here's my 'card' from the legendary Stylus. (Though my Ork heart says that I'm team Monkey!) And as we're now into 'month two' I've started working on my next chunk...


Sneak peak of what's to come, another five Plague Marines and a couple of characters. I think again it's a bit more than 250 but close enough to be in the spirit of things anyway.

Hope you enjoyed this, and I'd love to hear about what you are all doing for new armies and if you are playing along with the Hobbypocalypse. Stay safe!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent sponge work. That army going to look really distinct.

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam messages I’m trying to use the comment moderation system. Hopefully this works!