Friday 7 April 2023

Gloomspite Gitz Wave Two - Purple Squigs for Life!

Hello!

More gits! Previously I worked my way through all the 'chaff', assorted gobbos on foot and their squigs. This time it's all about bigger squigs (and trolls) with little gits hanging onto them for dear life! So here we go, completing the set with some big bouncy weirdness.





First into the fray, it's a Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig. As a character model (and this one certainly does have a lot of character) he got a bit of extra attention with some bonus highlights and the like, which I think has come out nicely. This guy was built before these got to me and he already had a magnetised arm, so of course I painted up both weapons. Of course a mad grot bouncing around on a squig is unlikely to come alone...





BOI-OING! Squig Hoppers! A brilliantly mad kit and suitable update to the classic metal versions of old, obviously this unit was a blast to build and paint. I really enjoyed the variety in the kit, with different head options for the squig and the grot, plus I quickly found that although there are recommended sets of legs for each squig body/rider combination, the legs pretty much all fit on any body, allowing for even more variation! This was particularly handy because...




Yeah there was another box of them! This set got built as the Boingrot Bounders, which might just be my favourite unit in the army. There's something very comical about 'goblin knights' as a concept, and it's also a great excuse for a load of really rusty metal. 


Wait, they aren't squigs? Well there's also some purple Troggoths in this army!





This three are Fellwater Troggoths, aka River Trolls, and they were supplied with some Idoneth Deepkin bits to give them a bit more fishy flavour. I found they didn't have as much empty base space to do as much as I'd like, but I did fit a freshly chopped off tail on one and a shark-head hood on another!



Joining those Troggoths is another set of Underworlds denizens, Mollog and his mob. Painted the same purple as his cousins, I made sure to give him a green mushroom hat and green loincloth to tie him in with their scales. This one is a very silly set, I particulalry like his angry looking walking mushroom thing.






Raiding Forgeworld now for some artillery support, this is the hilarious Squig Gobba. Yuck. I opted to go for horrible yellow phlegm propelling the 'projectiles'. I don't really know why, it's just gross, but I think it works. This set comes with a bunch of fun gobbo crewmen that went on the base, and I added some mushrooms and a weird snail squig from the other kits to tie it in a bit more.


Finally, it's mangling time! The biggest and silliest models in the collection are the two (four?) Mangler Squigs. Although both the same kit I tried to get variety by using some of the Boss build on one of them and making sure all the squigs were slightly different colours!




This one is the pale squig on the bottom and dark squig on top. It's hard to see but the top squig is actually a mix of two shades, divided roughly down  the middle horizontally.





And finally the other pair features a dark squig on the bottom, and perhaps my favourite squig on top - vertically split down the middle between pale and deep purple, with a series of yellow spots along the divides, plus a big skull-showing wound over it's eye and some more disgusting yellow phlegm on the tongue! Truly a top tier squig!

In any case, I hope you like them, it seems that the client does so that's the most important thing! This was a really fun project, and I'm glad I got to have a go at them with my sponge and my selection of contrast paints! It would be nice though to see them all together, wouldn't it?


Thanks for reading, stay safe out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam messages I’m trying to use the comment moderation system. Hopefully this works!