Thursday 19 January 2023

Mortarion

Hello!

As I alluded to in my last post, I've been working on something quite big, so here he is! Mortarion, Lord of the Death Guard, Daemon Primarch of Nurgle, Big Daddy M, whatever you want to call him.


Here he is in all his gribbly glory. I had a great time with this model, fun with contrast paints, a full model wash, weathering powder, Typhus Corrosion, and of course, the sponge. He will be joining my Death Guard force, 'The Desiccated', and has appropriately taken their colours on his pauldrons for the occasion. 




His hood and robes/cloak thing turned out pretty well I think, the purple really contrasting well with the rusted armour around it, and the model really lending to a couple of slightly inconsistent highlights.


This may be a bit sad, but I think my favourite little bit of weathering on him are those green tanks on his back, I just think they look particularly realistic.


I chose the Lantern to go in the right hand, aiming, because it looks cool (the alternate build is the scythe and pistol in opposite hands, both held down.) As one of the few obvious glowing bits on the model it's a good place to draw the attention and then it's a straight line back to his face and more subtly glowing eyes. 


The mighty scythe Silence. This was the last part of the model I finished, originally it was a bit more green like his armour but I didn't really like it so I added some more sponged metal and then bone to rough it up a bit, and make the blood and green ooze stuff look old and dried.


This was another model that barely fit into the light box, so to take a proper photo of the wings (which received a lot of sponge love) I had to lay him down and invert the picture!


And of course it wouldn't be a big Nurgle model without some little lords!


Finally, a shot with some of his boys, off to cause mayhem around the galaxy, no doubt. I hope you like him, I'm really pleased with how he turned out, better than I envisioned in my head at the start. Thanks for reading, and stay safe out there!

1 comment:

Due to spam messages I’m trying to use the comment moderation system. Hopefully this works!