Wednesday 15 August 2018

Double Trouble 4 Army List and Preview

Hello!

With Double Trouble 4 fast approaching, it's about time I decided on my list! I believe the deadline for both list submission and buying a ticket (hint hint) is Saturday the 18th at midnight, and I think I've just about come to a decision. Here is what I'm leaning towards:


The Fractured Truth - Alpha Legion Battalion - 875 points
(Everything marked Slaanesh for convenience)

Chaos Lord: power fist; bolt pistol; Warlord Trait: I Am Alpharius
Chaos Lord: Blade of the Hydra (chainsword); bolt pistol

29 Chaos Cultists: autoguns; + 1 Cultist Champion (shotgun)
4 Chaos Space Marines: bolters; meltagun; + 1 Aspiring Champion (bolt pistol; power sword)
4 Chaos Space Marines: bolters; meltagun; + 1 Aspiring Champion (bolt pistol; power axe)
4 Chaos Space Marines: bolters; plasma gun; + 1 Aspiring Champion (combi-plasma)

Chaos Rhino
Chaos Rhino

Heldrake: baleflamer


My thought process was as follows: Orks don't have a codex yet, I did Tyranids last time, I did Ad Mech the time before that, Knights will probably be everywhere. Haven't taken Chaos to an event for a while, so why not? My next thought was 'I've got a two headed Heldrake, that's kind of cool, I should take that. And I do like the Rhinos with the big transfers on them...'

So with that in mind I started putting the list together. I decided early on that I wasn't going to just focus on killing stuff like normal, and that I would actually try to take objectives and be useful this time. That meant troop choices, which meant a battalion and a nice number of command points. One of those choices would be a blob of cultists, for Forward Operative/Veterans of the Long War/Endless Cacophony/Tide of Traitors fun. After that I felt somewhat lacking in anti-tank so I grabbed a couple of meltaguns in marine squads, and a third squad with plasma/combi plasma to add some versatility. Two Lords filled the HQ slots for relatively cheap, able to provided the reroll 1s bubble in two separate locations. The Warlord will probably go up with the cultists to aid them and be aggressive - if he dies the other one will become the warlord anyway, and he will be hanging with the marines in their Rhinos. With the spare points I sprinkled some melee weapons on the champions, just in case.

I know this is not a very competitive list, but I think it should be fairly fun and has a reasonable amount of stuff in it for 875 points. Remember of course this will only be half an army, and I'm hoping my partners will be capable of doing the real damage while I cause problems with cunning and trickery - and if we lose, well, that's clearly what the Alpha Legion planned all along!

In other news, this time I will not be going alone, as Regular-Opponent-John will be coming along as well. I'm not entirely sure what he's bringing but I suspect I will involve at least 3 pink/purple robots and will be very killy. I would not be entirely surprised if he picked up the Genocidal Maniac award, as it is very much in line with his play style.


I also know Dave Weston of the Confessions of a 40k Addict blog is attending, and is planning on taking quite a scary large robot based list. I'm calling it here now, if John and Dave team up with their expected lists, someone is going to have a really bad day - hopefully not me!

1 comment:

  1. Yes I'm taking just the three. I think the Lancer (giving away nearly 40pts)is both underpowered (compared to a Questoris) and overpowered. It's limited weaponry isn't great in comparison but the 14" Move (plus 2D6 advance) helps it keep up with the Warglaives. Landstrider also adds 2" to their advance and so charge so that gets me into your face pretty quick, alternatively Knight Seneschal for an extra attack with his lance or feet?

    A Questoris is better use of points though and I could Freeblade it for some shenanigans...

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam messages I’m trying to use the comment moderation system. Hopefully this works!