Saturday 15 September 2018

Hive Fleet Goliath prepare for Winter(s)

Hello!

My Tyranids have been swarming up and preparing for a long journey through the void to a distant world, known as Swindon.




Soon, I shall take a 150 power level force for a narrative game against the incomparable Winters SEO. For those who don't know, Winters has been making wonderful, narrative focused video battle reports on his Youtube channel for many years, and is also (along with Liam from Moarhammer) behind Deployment Zone, which is a subscription service for yet more battle reports. I'm quite excited!


Since we will be playing a narrative game, I've put together a bit of a themed list, built around being in the late stages of a Tyranid invasion, with a nice mix of units, some of which are very powerful (at power level 5, the Malanthrope is an absolute bargain in this system) while others are more of a 'fun' choice. (Oh look, it's a Haruspex!) I've also deliberately not taken advantage of the power level system by putting maximum upgrades on things, as I don't think that's in the spirit of narrative 40K - you'll note that my regular Termagants aren't rocking devourers for example. I'm not entirely sure what I'll be facing yet, but I think there will be Knights, so I feel entirely justified in bringing along the Scythed Hierodule. He is not a super competitive choice but he has been very much enjoying 8th edition so far and has racked up quite the kill count. I'll be running the Jormungandr adaptation (as usual), and the army will be made up of a brigade and a super heavy auxiliary detachment. Normally I'd put the warlord trait on the Malanthrope, but I think it's more narrative for it to go on the Tyrant, who along with his guard, the adaption and proximity to the Malanthrope, should prove tough to kill.

Hive Tyrant: Adaptive Biology; The Miasma Cannon; Catalyst; The Horror; monstrous rending claws; Adrenal glands
Broodlord: The Horror
Neurothrope: Psychic Scream
Neurothrope: Psychic Scream
Malanthrope

30 Termagants: 30× fleshboarers
20 Genestealers: Swift and Deadly; scything talons; 4× acid maw
3 Tyranid Warriors: 2× deathspitter; venom cannon; 3× scything talons
3 Tyranid Warriors: 2× deathspitter; venom cannon; 3× scything talons
3 Ripper Swarms
3 Ripper Swarms

3 Tyrant Guard: adrenal glands; 3× scything talons & rending claws
Haruspex
3 Zoanthropes: Catalyst

3 Raveners: 3× scything talons & rending claws; 3× deathspitter
10 Gargoyles
10 Gargoyles

Tyrannofex: acid spray
Mawloc: biostatic rattle; adrenal glands
Trygon: prehensile pincer tail; adrenal glands

Scythed Hierodule


With any luck the battle report will end up on Youtube before too long and I'll be sure to put the link here on the blog. I'm not quite sure what mission we will play or what the narrative will be, but I am sure that there will be some large, line of sight blocking terrain, and many cups of tea!



5 comments:

  1. Awesome, looking forward to seeing how you do against the legendary Mr. Winters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Played the game yesterday, it was great fun! Turned out to be pure Ad Mech from Mr Winters. It should be up on YouTube in 2-3 weeks IIRC. We played a custom narrative scenario and of course the dice had their own narrative to tell. I think it should be an interesting game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell me your paints that you used for the colour cheme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to, but as the army was painted over the course of many years and editions,the paints I use keep changing! The main colours used are a dark blue/purple like the old midnight blue, a dark brick red, a nice orange (rip mecharius solar) and a bone white.

      Delete

Due to spam messages I’m trying to use the comment moderation system. Hopefully this works!