Sunday 2 January 2022

2021 End of Year Hobby Review

Hello!

I wrote myself a bit of a year's review for the past couple, so I thought I'd continue the tradition. I don't really go in for new year' resolutions as such, but this is where I will set out a few aims that I'll be trying to follow up on.



Overall:

This past year I posted 67 times on the blog, smashing 2020 and 2019's 57 and 55 respectively, though still not quite up to the 70 from the nine months of 2018 the blog was active. Oh for those days back again! 2021 wasn't quite as badly hit by restrictions so I did get to go out and get a fair few games in, and otherwise I largely continued where I left of in terms of 'content'.


Battle Reports:

Quite a few written ones; 20+, with a good chunk of Adeptus Titanicus ones as well as 40k. Still nothing for Age of Sigmar though, which I hope to rectify this year! Only a solitary filmed report with SorcererDave (Orks vs Orks in Orktober) thanks to a combination of restrictions and scheduling issues, but hopefully there will be more to come. We did actually film another instalment of the now hilariously drawn out Reuvengrad campaign, but I think we're waiting to complete the set before it gets edited and put up. A couple of notable stand outs for me were the recent Orks vs Black Templars at Warhammer World, and also Orks vs Air Cav Astra Militarum back in June.


Hobby Stuff:

I've lost count of models painted in 2021 - this was the year I decided to focus my commissions on doing a high volume of decent tabletop standard stuff, particularly with use of the sponge! There were big Tyranid and Death Guard projects, as well as Drukhari, some Custodes, the Void Dragon, and some big Ork stuff at the start of the year. Of course all this painting for other people meant I was only able to paint a few things for myself - like an entire Death Guard army for the 'Hobbypocalypse', a detachment's worth of Skitarii, the Cursed City set, and a bunch of new Beast Snagga Orks. So yes, I've been pretty busy!


Other Stuff:

I've been continuing as a guest of the Narrative Wargamer Podcast (the highlights being the Hive of the Dead and Fun Facts episodes) , which is fun and a fulfilling way to feel like I'm contributing to the wider community. In fact, the longer we go on through this pandemic the more I understand the importance of 'community'. I've been trying to engage more with people on Twitter, and I've been to some more community minded events - one of the DZ Days in Belper and the Old Wolves meet at Warhammer World. Off the blog I've been back at the LARPing and getting some more 40k on Tabletop Simulator, and running some D&D over discord. So a wide array of nerding from me.


Looking forward:

More of the same really! I've still got those Tyranids from last year's box to paint - I was waiting for a codex but with some of the supplemental options recently made available to the bugs I might have to get some built up sooner. They were notable by their absence from my reports in 2021! Aside from that though I've not got much personal plastic to get through, but I do still have a chunk of Nids for the second Tyranid commission to do. I've not currently got any games planned but there are some things I've got in mind - I certainly want to get in some more Crusade games, play some AoS and hopefully get to a few tournaments or similar events.


All in all, it's been a fairly full year of hobby. I'm looking forward to more in 2022! Thanks for reading, and please stay safe.


2 comments:

  1. Nice recap and goals... I must write a similar goals post, I know I'm going to be busy away for a lot of the year with work so maybe explain why content will drop off and not to worry, WeeMen is not dying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff, and well done with filling the year with all that hobby.

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam messages I’m trying to use the comment moderation system. Hopefully this works!